June 3, 2010
By

I am getting a garage door installed soon. I’ve decided upon the door, but can’t figure out the best type of opener. What is the best type of garage door opener: screw drive, belt drive or chain drive?
What is it that makes one type better than another?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

6 Responses to What is the best type of garage door opener: screw drive, belt drive or chain drive?

1. jayman on June 3, 2010 at 2:59 pm

chain drive most definitely

2. milcollector on June 3, 2010 at 3:52 pm

I have never used a screw drive but like the belt drive, it’s a lot quieter then the chain.

3. propreno on June 3, 2010 at 4:13 pm

Screw-drive is a much better design.
    Too much can go wrong with the old chain-drive design.
    Spend a little extra on the opener and you’ll be pleasantly surprised.
    Silent operation, variable speed…
    Pretty cool stuff.

4. flatbushsam on June 3, 2010 at 5:12 pm

Screw drive is better because it will never stretch or break like a belt or chain can. Its also quieter.

5. rizinoutlaw on June 3, 2010 at 6:02 pm

Hands down the belt drive. I work at a garage door dealer as a tech and installer. We do not even carry screwdrives. The screw drive is quiet at first, but after a while it gets very noisy. Also a screw drive, as it gets older can sling the lubricant in it all over the face of your door. When you see a door with a streak down the middle, you can bet they have a screw drive. Also, they deliver more torque than the other two. So when your spring breaks, or something in the doorway (but not blocking the eyes), it is harder to stop which can cause more damage to your car, door, or whatever else is in the way.

Chain drives are very good openers. They are durable and last a long time. I have yet to see a broken chain except when it was installed in a constant wet environment, or it was a 30 plus year old commercial opener. That said, I the only chain opener i saw with a broken “chain” was a craftsman, chamberlain and Overhead brand opener where they use half cable and and half chain. Where the cable connects to the chain the cable snapped.

Our best seller and my personal favorite is the belt drive. It is much quieter and lasts just as long as a chain drive. The belt does not, or I have yet to see one “stretch”. The Craftsman, chamberlain and Liftmaster ones have spring tensioners on them, so they always stay tight. As an added bonus the Chamberlain and Craftsman openers have 10 year warranties on their belts. The Liftmaster has lifetime warranty on the belts.

Like I said hands down belt drives are the best bang for the buck. Or if you have the money and your garage is wired properly check out the Liftmaster Jackshaft opener. I would stay away from the Wayne Dalton idrive. They are junk.

***Check out the belt drives with battery backup***

6. httnmrtt on June 3, 2010 at 6:28 pm

I have installed both a screw drive and a chain drive. As previously mentioned, a screw drive delivers more power. It may be required to open a double wide because of the extra weight or a single panel door that swings out and up because of the spring tension. If your motion sensors, stop switches and assist springs are installed and adjusted correctly, the additional torque should not be a concern. A belt drive is quieter but they have a tendency to slip and you should make sure your rollers are properly lubricated.